Find out more about NEURON in the following articles:
- The Editorial “ERA-NET NEURON: a network with emergent properties” explains and illustrates the aims and achievements of the NEURON network (The Lancet Neurology, March 2016, Volume 15 , Issue 3 , 231, article in English, PDF 114 kb).
- Ground-breaking research from NEURON ERANET: ‘New Visions for Partial Blindness’
- Make ends meet: celebrating 10 years of funding organizations co-operation. This article reports on the September 2013 NEURON symposium on Cerebrovascular Disorders and the NEURON 10 years anniversary. (GLOBAL SCIENTIA, 5, 2014, p. 18-22, article in English, PDF 950 kb).
- Within the EUROPEAN MONTH OF THE BRAIN in May 2013 NEURON organised a symposium on ‘NEURODEVELOPMENT AND RELATED DISORDERS’. In the recent Global Scientia issue the conference is summarized on pages 28-31. (GLOBAL SCIENTIA, 4, 2013, article in English, PDF 896 kb).
- Final Symposium: In this article the recent symposium on development and advancement in methods and technologies and other NEURON key activities are reported. The symposium gathered a number of researchers funded by the ERA-NET and provided an excellent view on the technological progresses in the field of disease-related neurosciences. (GLOBAL SCIENTIA, 3, 2013, p. 16-19, article in English, PDF 480 kb).
- The ERA-NET NEURON performed a monitoring study (PDF 239 kb) to explore the position of young scientists in the 2009 ERA-Net NEURON joint transnational call “Technology Development”. Based on the study, no indication of a bias toward older researchers was observed. This indicates the transnational funding scheme from ERA-NET NEURON is a relevant source of funding for young researchers at the early stages of their careers.
- NEW SPIRITS – the ERA-NET NEURON moves on. An Interview with PD Dr. M. Dorlöchter and an article "NEURON – advanced Origami of Joint Transnational Calls", by PD Dr. Hella Lichtenberg, Dr. Petra Lüers and PD Dr. M. Dorlöchter (GLOBAL SCIENTIA, Issue 2, 2012, p. 82-85, article in English, PDF 2,64 MB)
- "NEURON - Ein Netzwerk für die Neurowissenschaft" by the FWF representative, Dr. Herbert Mayer (CliniCum 03/2007, p.18, article in German)
- "NEURON: Ein Netzwerk europäischer Forschungsförderer" by the NEURON coordinator, PD Dr. M. Dorlöchter and PD Dr. Hella Lichtenberg (Neuroforum, 04/2007, p. 137-139, article in German)
- NEURON – a network of European funding organizations by the NEURON coordinator, PD Dr. M. Dorlöchter and PD Dr. Hella Lichtenberg (Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2005 March; 1(1): 87–88, article in English)
The December 2007 publication of "ERA-NET - Networking of national research programmes in the European Research Area - Series V" featuring 20 new ERA-NET projects selected for funding as a result of the fifth and final cut-off date under the Sixth Research Framework Programme (FP6).
The European Commission, Research Directorate General has published a commentory in Nature Medicine (2006) including remarks on NEURON.
Funded October 2003 - December 2004 by the European Commission, the pilot Specific Support Action (SSA) NEURON prepared the grounds for linking European national research funding programmes in the field of disease-related neuroscience. A publication by the European Commission Directorate-General for Research: Coordination of Research Activities (Series I of ERA-NET - Networking the European Research Area). The full brochure can be found at: http://www.cordis.lu/coordination/era-net.htm
Strategic Research Agenda Part II:
Feedback from professional and patient organisations
NEURON launched a survey to seek feedback about the SRA from the scientific community. A questionnaire asked professional societies and patient organisations originating from all NEURON partner countries about their satisfaction with the SRA topics and priorities.
The Strategic Research Agenda Part II (SRA II, PDF, 1 MB) 'Feedback from professional and patient organisations' is also available in a printer-friendly version.
Scientific Research Agenda
ERA-NET NEURON publishes a
Scientific Research Agenda (SRA, 2015). The content was developed by a
group of international researchers who covered a broad range of
expertise in fundamental neuroscience, neurology, psychiatry, and
The Strategic Research Agenda (SRA, PDF, 3 MB) 'Taking on the Challenges of Nervous System Disorders' is also available in a printerfriendly version. NEURON invites the scientific community to comment on this document.
Joint Transnational Call 2010 ‘European Research Projects on Mental Disorders’ Impact Report (PDF, 488 kb)
Report on 'External insults to the nervous system'
In May 2015 a symposium on the topic 'External insults to the nervous system' was held in Bucharest. The symposium is part of Work Package 2 'Development of a Strategic Research Agenda' of the NEURON project.
Report on ‘National Funding Portfolios of European Funding Organisations in Neuroscience’
The report summarises results of a survey about funding activities in the area of neurosciences carried out among 15 NEURON partner organisations. It follows-up on a previous, extensive survey.
Early career scientists report
The ERA-NET NEURON performed a monitoring study (PDF 1,1 MB) to explore the position of early career scientists in the 2010-2011 ERA-NET NEURON joint transnational calls “Mental Disorders” and "Cerebrovascular Diseases". Based on the study, no indication of a bias toward older researchers was observed. This indicates the transnational funding scheme from ERA-NET NEURON is a relevant source of funding for young researchers at the early stages of their careers.
Report on NEURON’s Joint Transnational Calls (JTCs) 2015
NEURON’s Joint Transnational Calls (JTCs) were most positively surveyed by the neuroscience community and stakeholders. One of NEURON’s core elements, the Joint Transnational Calls (JTCs) were surveyed by the neuroscience community and stakeholders. The added value of the JTCs and the multidisciplinary topics meeting the needs of the neuroscience research community were greatly appreciated. Efficient call conduction procedures were found to be matched by an informative website. Suggestions on dissemination of the JTCs will improve practices for the future NEURON calls. You will find the report here (1,11 MB, PDF).
Outcome Report Joint Transnational Call 2009
The outcome of JTC2009 ‘Technology Development’ was analysed using key performance indicators. Results were very positive and major achievements yielded by the projects are highlighted. Download the full report with detailed analyses here.
Joint Transnational Call 2008 ‘Neurodegeneration’ Impact Report (PDF, 654 kb)
The Ministry of Education, Research, Youth and Sports - National Authority for Scientific Research (ANCS) of Romania published a brochure: "Perspectives in Neuroscience Research in Romania" (December 2012, PDF 1,3 MB)
Jakob Edler elaborated on research funding in a recent science issue entitled: "Toward Variable Funding for International Science". (SCIENCE, vol. 388, p. 331-332, October 19th, 2012; PDF 2 MB)
Trillion-dollar brain drain. Comment in Nature (Nature 478, p. 13 Oct. 2011)
Cost of disorders of the brain in Europe 2010 (European Neuropsychopharmacology Nr. 21, 2011, pp. 655-679)
Size and burden of mental disorders in Europe - a critical review and appraisal of 27 studies. (European Neuropsychopharmacology Nr. 15, 2005, pp. 357-376)
Some information about research and its funding in Europe has been compiled in journal articles 'Research in the European Union' (The Lancet Neurology, Volume 2, Issue 11, Pages 702 - 706, November 2003), 'European Alzheimer disease funding' or 'European Union research policy and funding for Alzheimer disease'.
Statistical data referring to brain disorders, their prevalence and cost are depicted in 'The burden of brain diseases in Europe' (European Journal of Neurology, Volume 10, Number 5, September 2003 , pp. 471-477(7).
The European Journal of Neurology has dedicated a supplement issue to 'Cost of disorders of the brain in Europe'.